First Unitarian Society In Newton
Designed by the gothicist Ralph Adams Cram, this 1911 landmark church was executed in limestone, seam-faced granite, and, at the tower, terra cotta.
Poor materials and lack of proper maintenance resulted in extensive deterioration of the tower parapets and pinnacles. Barriers were erected at the tower’s base to protect passersby from falling masonry shards.
The restoration program developed by Preservation Technology Associates, Inc., included installation of a new concrete roof deck and replication of the parapet and spires in fiberglass. Deteriorated terra cotta at the belfry was restored and off-set stones replaced in limestone.
Additional restoration implemented by Preservation Technology for this Church has included restoration of the front and rear elevations of the sanctuary including removal and restoration of the English stained-glass multi-lancet window, installation of thru-wall flashing, reconstruction of gables, replacement of slate and flashing and copper roofing.
This project received a Massachusetts Historical Commission Preservation Award.
285 Reservoir Road
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467